Calabrese Associates, P.C.

Call Us630-393-3111

4200 Cantera Drive, Suite 200 | Warrenville, IL 60555

Modifying Parenting Time Arrangements

 Posted on May 27, 2024 in Parenting Time (Visitation)

IL family lawyerParenting time is usually one of the most hotly debated issues in a divorce. Rarely is a parent willing to relinquish time with his or her child, especially when the divorce is contentious. Although child custody orders are intended to be permanent, there are cases where a parenting time schedule needs to be changed at a later date. There are several reasons divorced parents might need a change in their child custody agreement or orders long after the divorce is finalized. If either parent’s or the child’s circumstances have changed substantially, you may be able to move for a modification. A Naperville, IL child custody modifications attorney can help with this.

When Can I Ask for a Parenting Time Modification?

To have your parenting time arrangements altered, you will need to show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since your agreement or court orders were first established. Substantial changes in circumstances include:

  • Relocation - If one parent is moving a significant distance, your old parenting plan may no longer work due to the difficulty of moving the child back and forth as often as you used to. 
  • Both parents agree - If both parents agree to a modification, the court will approve it unless the judge finds that the change would not be in the child’s best interests. 
  • Changes in the child’s needs - A child’s needs can evolve over time, especially if the child suffers a serious injury or illness that requires more extensive care. 
  • Changes in a parent’s ability to care for the child - If a parent develops a serious medical or mental health problem that makes him or her less able to care for the child, the court may consider sending the child to spend more time with the healthy parent. 
  • Remarriage of one parent - If one parent remarries, the court can consider how the presence of a new stepparent might affect the child’s well-being. If there is any evidence to suggest that a parent’s new spouse might be harmful to the child, a modification may be in order. 
  • Financial status changes - If one parent’s financial status changes drastically, the court might consider modifying parenting time. For example, if a parent loses a job and must move from a house to a small apartment and begins relying on less nutritious foods, the court will consider the impact this might have on the child. 

Contact a Naperville, IL Child Custody Modifications Attorney

Calabrese Associates, P.C. is committed to helping parents whose circumstances have changed modify their parenting plans. Our experienced DuPage County, IL parenting plan modifications lawyers will work to create the change in your parenting time schedule you and your child need. Contact us at 630-393-3111 for a confidential consultation.

Share this post:
Back to Top