Calabrese Associates, P.C.

Call Us630-393-3111

4200 Cantera Drive, Suite 200 | Warrenville, IL 60555

What Can I Do If My Ex Is Not Paying Child Support in Illinois?

Posted on July 14, 2022 in Child Support

Wheaton child support enforcement attorneyParenting after a divorce can be a challenging proposition. A single parent’s struggles are only made greater by an ex-spouse who has stopped paying child support. While your ex-spouse may provide excuses about why payments have stopped or are behind, obligations for child support are court-ordered and not subject to modification by the parties involved. Only the court can approve a modification, and only then with a legitimate and qualifying reason. To ensure your child support payments are made on time, the first step is to contact an experienced child support enforcement attorney.

Options for Child Support Enforcement

Child support payments serve to assist the parent with the greater allocation of parental responsibilities to provide basic needs for their children. If those payments are late, less than required, or stop altogether, it could have a serious impact on the children’s life and wellbeing.

While payments are set up based on the circumstances of both spouses at the time of the divorce, including the parents’ net income and the number of children, Illinois law recognizes that circumstances can change in the months and years that follow. Modifications to child support payments can be considered by the court, including if the payor has lost their job, has taken an involuntary cut in pay, or has become sick with a major illness that impacts their ability to make a living.

If there is no legal reason that your ex-spouse is failing to meet their obligations, we will work with you to enforce the terms of the order. Penalties can be imposed upon a parent who fails to comply with a child support order. This can include wage garnishment, driver’s license suspension, intercepting federal and state income tax refunds, and other punitive measures. In extreme cases, failure to pay child support can result in jail time and fines. Often, we are able to work with the parents and negotiate a resolution that ensures the needs of both parties are met and avoids prolonged court involvement. However, we are prepared to represent you in court to enforce the order if necessary.

Contact a Naperville Child Support Enforcement Lawyer

To provide the best future for your child, it is essential that the child support payments you are owed are paid on time and in full. If you need legal assistance enforcing a child support order, contact the DuPage County family law attorneys at Calabrese Associates, P.C.. To learn more about how we can help your case, call our office at 630-393-3111.



Back to Top